Friday, August 6, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

As the sun sets on our ministry here in Bellingham, this will probably be my last post as the pastor of the Bellingham URC. I just realized something the other day: Before I got back into the ministry, I worked in the furniture business for a period of 7 years and 10 months. I have now been the pastor of the Bellingham URC for...you guessed it...7 years and 10 months. Somewhat strange. I wonder what we'll be up to in July 2018?

It's been a very enjoyable and blessed 8 years serving here. From lots and lots of babies being baptized...to professions of faith...to people coming to grasp Reformed theology for the first time...to a great council and consistory to work with...to faithful members...to everything in between, it's been a blessing. Sure, there have been trials and disappointments, but that's going to be true no matter where you go. In many respects, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better group of people to work with.

But now, we move on. And while we're sad to leave our church family behind, we're excited to learn a new area of the country. We're looking forward to having a solid Christian school (K-12) in our town. And we're looking forward to getting to know a new church family. That doesn't mean, however, that we'll ever forget our church family up here. I'm sure it's true for all pastors, that you never forget your first church.

This Sunday, I preach my final sermons at BURC. It's going to be a strange day. It's going to be a hard day. But the Lord is good. And He will continue to build His church here and throughout the world.

"Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness." Psalm 115:1

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

[SNIFF!!!] Well said!!

Lockheed said...

Welcome to Zion!

Kevin Efflandt said...

Thanks, Lockheed!