Saturday, October 18, 2008

Vacation, Day 2




Today was really a microcosm of what I hope this whole vacation to be:  A time of great relaxation.  We slept in, ate Eggo waffles, and then spent 2 hours in the pool.  After that, we went to Puka Dog, a well-known hot dog stand here on Kauai.  The menu is very limited by intent:  You have a choice of either a polish sausage dog or a veggie dog.  Other than that, all the menu has are a bag of chips and fresh-squeezed lemonade.  Although I love spicy food (and never seem to have much problem with spicy stuff), for some reason I've always had problems with polish sausage.  Because of that, I ordered a veggie dog.  Then you have a choice of condiments (Hawaiian mustard, various kinds of relish such as pineapple, mango, coconut, etc.).  I had pineapple relish on mine, along with a sweet Hawaiian mustard.  Everything was great...except for the veggie dog.  Not only was it rather tasteless, but it was also tough.  Oh well, at least we experienced it.  From now on, Puka Dog is known as "Puke-a Dog" in our house.  In fact, it was so bad after the first bite that I almost thought that I'd "accidentally" drop mine on the ground so that I wouldn't have to eat it.  But since the rest of my family didn't care for it either, I just yanked my veggie dog out of the bun and tossed it in the trash.  By the way, this reminds me our wedding rehearsal dinner over 17 years ago.  The pastor of our church and his wife insisted on providing the meal for our rehearsal dinner.  She made what will forever be known as "goosebump" chicken.  It was this incredibly nasty chicken dish that still had bumps on it (you know the type of bumps on chicken skin that I'm talking about).  Well, after somehow managing to get one piece down during the rehearsal dinner, the pastor's wife insisted that I have more.  And so I placed another piece on my plate, but...oops, somehow it managed to fall on the floor and I had to toss it in the trash.  I don't know how I managed to avoid having to take another piece, but I hope never to have "goosebump" chicken again.  Now if polish sausage doesn't bother your stomach, if you ever go to Kauai you should try Puka Dog.  The relish was quite tasty, as was the Hawaiian sweet mustard that they also put on it.  Anyway, after that, we went down to Poipu Beach, where we'll be boogie-boarding once we buy our boogie boards next week.  Then it was back to the pool...followed by dinner at our condo...and we ended the day with ice cream at Lapperts in Koloa.  Pictured here:  The pool at our condo complex, Poipu Beach, and my wife trying to fish out some dropped goggles at the bottom of the pool.

No comments: