Monday, February 9, 2009

Facebook: RIP

About 2 months ago, one of the members of my congregation and I were talking about Facebook.  And he said to me, "I don't have any interest in having a Facebook account because it's just one more thing that I would have to check on and pay attention to."  I kind of agreed with him at the time, but about 10 days ago, I received an email from someone who invited me to join Facebook and view their page.  Well, I typed in my email address...came up with a password...and voila, I was the proud owner of a Facebook page.  Shortly thereafter, here came the "friend requests."  And the next thing you know, I was getting updates that "so-and-so had updated their status" and "so-and-so had commented on your wall" (or whatever it's called).  I finally realized that my friend was right:  Do I really need one other thing in my life taking up my time?  No, I don't.  It already takes enough time and energy to try to keep this blog current.  Then, there's the massive number of emails that I get every day.  So, as soon as I publish this post, I'm headed over to Facebook to deactivate my account.  Rest in Peace, Facebook.

No comments: