Saturday, February 21, 2009

Top 25 "Conservative" Movies


I'm not really sure what a "conservative" movie is, but some group just came out with their list of the top 25 conservative movies of the last 25 years. You can see that list here. But here's a quick rundown:




1. The Lives of Others
2. The Incredibles
3. Metropolitan
4. Forest Gump
5. 300
6. Groundhog Day
7. The Pursuit of Happyness
8. Juno
9. Blast from the Past
10. Ghostbusters
11. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
12. The Dark Night
13. Braveheart
14. A Simple Plan
15. Red Dawn
16. Master and Commander
17. The Chronicles of Narnia
18. The Edge
19. We Were Soldiers
20. Gattaca
21. Heartbreak Ridge
22. Brazil
23. United 93
24. Team America: World Police
25. Gran Torino

Of the 25, I've seen 9 in their entirety (2, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 17, 21).  I've seen parts of "Master and Commander" (sorry, M & C fans, I just couldn't get into it).  And I watched part of "We Were Soldiers" before deciding I wasn't that interested.  I'm somewhat surprised that "Saving Private Ryan" didn't make it.  But here's my question:  If you've seen any of these movies that I haven't seen, which ones would you recommend that I watch?

10 comments:

Mike Hollister said...

Some good movies there.

The Dark Knight was very good. One of the best on the list.

Red Dawn was awesome for its time and though it has lost its luster a bit it's still worth watching. You just have to put yourself back in an 80s mentality.

We Were Soldiers was great. Really good. I'm surprised you didn't get into that one.

Gattaca was interesting. Not your typical fare but worth the 2 hours. But that's quite a while ago; I could be remembering it wrong.

Gran Torino really wasn't all that great.

The Edge was a cool movie too. Worth the time spent I think.

Kevin Efflandt said...

Thanks for the heads-up on Gran Torino. Anyone who turns me on to Burn Notice is the man in my book!

Al said...

Gotta agree with Mike on The Dark Knight. (I can't believe Team America made the list; like you said I don't know whose definition of "conservative" were working with. Likewise, Forest Gump and a few others.)

Surprised "The Patriot" isn't in there. (I see it made NR's "also ran" list.)

Also from "also ran" - "Cinderella Man" is very good. As are "Thank You for Smoking","The Truman Show" and "Witness".

Kevin Efflandt said...

I haven't seen "Thank You for Smoking," but I have seen "Cinderella Man" and "The Truman Show," both of which I thought were excellent, particularly "Cinderella Man."

Chris and Christina said...

i'll second al's recommendation of "thank you for smoking". it was one of those movies i enjoyed way more than i expected.

Kevin Efflandt said...

Hey...weren't you just at my house??

Teresa said...

I really liked 300, (I don't know if it is your kind of movie???)and The Pursuit of Happyness, and United 93 and I 3rd Thank You For Smoking... just my 2 cents.

Zepmom said...

There's an illustration of the Providence of God in 'Pursuit of Happyness' that I go back to time and time again...definitely worth watching...'Simple Plan' is a gritty 'reality' movie...we liked it enough to buy it. For what it was, we liked 'The Wrestler' much more than either 'Gran Torino' or 'Slumdog Millionaire'
'Thank You for Smoking' is a great movie!

Teresa said...

Oh, and I agree with you about Master and Commander , Travis bought it for some reason, and has tried to get me to watch it a few times , I've seen the first half hour 3 times , I couldn't get into it.

Al said...

I had to come back here just to put in a plug for the little blurby on the NR site about "Ghostbusters".
"When Dr. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) gets kicked out of the university lab and ponders pursuing entrepreneurial opportunities, a nervous Dr. Raymond Stantz (Dan Aykroyd) replies: “I don’t know about that. I’ve worked in the private sector. They expect results!”"
Ha,ha,ha. Funny plus it gives you a little better idea of what NR deems "conservative".